Wednesday, September 11, 2013

The Fatal Knot

Hi everyone. My name is Kimya and this is my new blog for school. Hope you enjoy my first ever post!

My favorite text form the summer reading is “ To the Ladies” by Lady Mary Chudleigh. I love how this poem is able to excite me as a reader and force me to look deeper into each line and obtain its true meaning.  Although it was difficult at first to find the meaning behind the words, deciphering the poem later provided me with a rush of adrenalin and enticed me to continue on my search. I particularly enjoyed the diction used throughout the poem. Line three for example says, “ for when the fatal Knot is ty’d.” The use of the word fatal is contradictory to what one would expect marriage to be, a positive impact on life, but instead the speaker appears to have a negative outlook on marriage.  The word fatal can also reassemble the death of women through marriage. Again showing marriage to have a negative impact on a woman’s life. I found this to be surprising because I had always expected a woman’s wedding and ultimately her marriage to be the best day of her life, and for the couple to live happily after in their union.  But this was clearly not the case in “ To the Ladies.” The speaker seems to tell this story from experience and does her best to instill confidence in women by saying, “ Value your selves, and Men despise.” I found it shocking that she is telling women to not get married especially in the time period that this poem was written in. She is empowering women to take pride in their independence.  Writing this poem was certainly an audacious move by Chudleigh, ultimately giving me a new perspective on women in the 1700s.

No comments:

Post a Comment